Remedy the Effects of Sunburn and Renew Your Skin with Sun Damage Treatments
We’ve all been there: you spend a day of fun in the sun, losing track of time and failing to apply and reapply enough sunscreen to properly protect your skin. After the fact, you notice your skin is bright red and tender to the touch – the telltale signs of sunburn.
According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, more than a third of American adults say they get sunburned each year. Although you may think this reaction is merely a temporary annoyance, sunburn can have a lasting impact on the health of our skin.
The good news is that there are sun damage treatments that can help repair and reverse the effects of sunburn. Keep reading to learn more about sunburns and available treatment options.
Understanding Sunburn and Its Effects on the Skin
One of the immediate effects of sunburn is the redness, swelling, and pain that we experience. However, the damage doesn’t stop there. Repeated exposure to the sun’s harmful ultraviolet (UV) rays can not only take a toll on your skin’s surface, but its underlying connective tissue as well. This can lead to:
- Sunspots, also known as age spots or liver spots
- Wrinkles and fine lines
- Sagging skin
Sun damage also increases your risk of developing skin cancer. The American Cancer Society reports that skin cancer is the most common of all cancers, with the primary cause being sun exposure. Over time, too much UV radiation can harm the DNA in skin cells, causing cells to divide and replicate too frequently. As a result, cells begin to clump together, forming a mass of cancer cells.
You can prevent these and other long-term consequences by wearing sunscreen daily and seeking professional sunspot treatments and other sun damage treatments. These treatments safely and effectively rejuvenate damaged areas of the skin through minimally and non-invasive procedures that require little to no downtime.
Types of Sun Damage Treatments
Laser treatments for sun damage work by using high-energy beams of light to target damaged skin cells and prompt the body’s natural healing processes, stimulating collagen production and encouraging cellular turnover. This helps even out your skin tone and smooth problematic skin texture.
One of the most popular sun damage treatments is called IPL (intense pulsed light) therapy. IPL uses scattered, unfocused wavelengths of light to penetrate through the skin’s layers and blast away unwanted pigment, like hyperpigmentation.
The best part? There’s no downtime, so you can return to your normal routine after your session. Most patients see results after just four to six treatments, but it’s important to note that skincare experts recommend yearly maintenance with IPL to address new sun damage.
Fraxel DUAL laser treatments for sun damage are also great options for refreshing and renewing the overall look of your skin. Producing thousands of tiny laser columns, Fraxel® DUAL resurfaces specific areas of damaged skin, accelerates collagen production, and promotes the regrowth of healthy skin cells. This results in smoother, firmer skin and a more youthful appearance.
It’s best to consult with a medical professional to determine which sun damage treatment is right for you. Depending on your specific concerns, you may benefit from a combination of laser treatments. An expert can evaluate your needs and come up with a customized plan to help you achieve your skincare goals.
Aftercare Tips for Sun Damage Laser Treatments
Proper aftercare is a crucial part of any sun damage treatment. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Protect your skin from the sun: After laser treatments for sun damage, your skin may be more sensitive to the sun’s rays. Make sure to regularly apply sunscreen with a high SPF and avoid direct sunlight. Wear hats, sunglasses, and protective clothing to appropriately shield your skin.
- Moisturize: Sunspot treatments and other laser procedures can sometimes leave the skin dry and sensitive. Use a moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated and to help maintain its natural barrier. Look for products that contain ingredients like hyaluronic acid and ceramides to replenish and soothe your skin.
- Avoid harsh skincare products: During the healing process, you should avoid using harsh cleansers or exfoliants on your skin. Instead, opt for gentle, fragrance-free products that are specifically formulated for sensitive or post-treatment skin.
- Be gentle with your skin: Avoid picking or scratching at the treated area as it can lead to further damage and potential scarring. Hot showers, saunas, and steam rooms are also a bad idea, as they can irritate your skin. Use lukewarm water and gentle patting to dry your skin.
- Follow post-treatment instructions: Your skincare professional will provide specific post-treatment instructions. It’s important to follow these carefully so your skin heals properly.
Enjoy Healthier, More Radiant Skin with Laser Treatments for Sun Damage
The damaging effects of sunburn are undeniable, but fortunately, there are ways to restore your skin to look better than ever. Sun damage treatments offer powerful solutions for erasing sunspots, diminishing fine lines, and improving the texture of your skin.
Whatever your skin concerns, you can begin enjoying the benefits of healthy, glowing skin after only a few laser treatment sessions. Finally, it’s easy to say goodbye to sun-damaged skin and hello to a radiant complexion.